Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fashion Police - The ?-1-1

9-1-1 is for emergencies. 4-1-1 is for information. 3-1-1 is for non-emergency information or complaints. So what's the ?-1-1 for fashion dilemmas??

I've always enjoyed eccentric fashions. Ridiculous tights, hats and scarves, handbags of all shapes and sizes, various items with a bit of sparkle and/or pink, legwarmers, "thumbykins" (which are simply gloves with the fingers cut out), and mostly a good ballet skirt or 2 are all part of my wardrobe. These are also items I won't part with at the present time.

HOWEVER, the rest of the dreck in my closet is free to go. When I moved to Astoria, I got rid of a ton of clothes. And then at the end of last winter, I did it again. What's left? See below...


It's safe to say that I loathe about 68% of what you see here. Some of it is outdated. Some of it is well-worn. Some of it includes bridesmaid's dresses. And some of it is a lot cute separates without a suitable partner (i.e. a cute high-waisted black/white skirt with no suitable top as noted above). The note on the pic says "Cute Skirt. No Tops. :("
.
My budget is limited thanks to a number of trips and events I have planned before the end of the year. But the fashion police need to intervene. AGGGHHHH!!! What to do, what to do. Sighs all around.
.
So the questions are these... is it possible to piece together enough of my existing rubbish to make new fashion-forward outfits? Do I need to throw it all out and spend a little each paycheck to replace? Or should I purchase a few (say 5) new VITAL pieces and compensate the rest with what I have? Can I be the poor man's Carrie Bradshaw that is bursting beneath the surface? Can this real-life Cosmo girl use some creativity to burst onto the Fall scene in recycled separates??

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, and yes. I'm facing the same quandary myself, only I've realized my spangly clothes have to go. I am officially an oxford, jeans and driving mocs girl. My strategy, you ask? Gap and Old Navy discount emails. They send them at least once a month. And Target. For you, I would suggest subscribing to Gilt Groupe online as well. That skirt looks fab! What about a basic black top like a mock 3/4 sleeve turtleneck?

    ReplyDelete