Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Whole30 Reintroductions: Grains

Whole 30 Reintroductions: Grains

I have often joked about sporting a "carb baby" meaning that after eating too much bread, I worry that someone on the train will offer me a seat assuming I'm 5+ months pregnant.  So this was the scariest reintroduction for me.  These were introduced slowly over a 4-5 day period starting with gluten-free grains (corn, rice, millet, quinoa, etc).


These grains were very non-invasive for both Andrew and myself.  I definitely felt a sense of fullness I haven't experienced in a long time, but no pain, stomach issues, sinus issues, or fatigue.  Simply required putting the fork down earlier and not clearing the plate.

Morning:  Nothing extra was added for breakfast, though I considered making steel-cut oats
Afternoon:  Chipotle bowl with rice, chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, and corn chips
Evening:  Popcorn at the movies!!
Snack: Oatmeal "cookies".  I put "cookies" in quotations because they weren't real cookies.  In fact, they looked pretty horrible.  But man, were they tasty!!

Sad, edge-burnt "cookies".  Simply cut the edges off, and somehow cut them into bite size pieces.  Tasted delicious :)

We gave ourselves the next day to enjoy Easter dinner with our urban family and not stress too much about what we were ingesting or how things were prepped at the restaurant.  Lunch was amazing, and the company was even better.  Then we went back Whole30 the next day to do a little reset.

Yesterday we reintroduced gluten.  "It Starts With Food" suggests to save this for last since it has so much stuff in it that so many people don't handle well.  But it's also allllll the good foods.


Morning:  Green smoothie (I wanted to start my day as cleanly as possible)
Afternoon:  Blueberry muffin
Evening:  Turkey sandwich with spinach and tomatoes
Snack: Chocolate chip cookies (the best cookies ever)

So delicious.
 
Like the gluten-free grains there was a definite feeling of fullness, but thankfully neither of us experienced any stomach issues or strong negative feelings.  I was, however, EXTREMELY tired at the end of the day.  We went to bed earlier than normal with no energy whatsoever.  I also struggled waking up this morning even after a full night's sleep.  Plus, I noticed a mild skin breakout and some itchiness that I haven't had before.

I'm going to give it the rest of the day to make sure I'm not just imagining it, but I think the Whole30 has been an incredible success.  Tomorrow I'll post our final observations and some thoughts on the whole process!

No comments:

Post a Comment