Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Fantastic Weekend

I'm not big on giving play-by-plays of my whereabouts - call it a control thing, call it a I-don't-wanna-bore-you-to-death thing, or just call it how I roll.  But I'm making an exception for this past weekend.  It was fantastically filled with art, friends, and sun.

Friday:  McQueen Exhibit.  Shut your face.  This was amazing.  It was so good it hurt.  I only had about an hour to explore, so I'll definitely be going back.  I'm having trouble finding my favorite piece online, but there was another piece that moved me a great deal.  And I found the video of the making of it below.  I could watch this on a loop.

Selby and Sal went with me, but really it was just me and Alexander as far as I was concerned.  What a loss that we no longer have this genius, this beauty, this brilliance...

After the museum closed, we headed back to midtown to meet up with the incomparable Jane Balgavy who was in town for a theatre teacher's conference.  It was the first time in awhile I had her in NYC without a throng of kids, and I devoured every second.  As our group at Vintage went their separate ways, Jane and I were left alone.  She never fails.  And I will be forever grateful for her.  Thank you, Jane, for your unending support and words of wisdom.

Saturday:  Jane gave me her "MasterClass" ticket starring Tyne Daly.  I saw the show in college at a dinky little theatre in Memphis, and loved it then.  For the Broadway version, I was riveted.  It's not something I'd suggest to just everyone - it's definitely a theatre-person or singer's show.

I tried for the "Book of Mormon" lottery AGAIN (without success) where I successfully dodged a guy I went on 2 dates with earlier this year who doesn't seem to get the hint that "I don't think we're a good match" and "I'm not interested" (yes, I've literally told him these things) means just that.  I still hear from him, and it provides my friends with hours of endless entertainment.  Ok, maybe not hours, but they sure think it's hilarious.  God love him.  He just doesn't get it.  After the duck n'dodge, Jane and another Cabot teacher then took me out for Thai food... yum.

Sunday:  I met up with a new friend, Kim.  We've been trying to get together for awhile, but both our Junes blew up and our girl-date was pushed into July.  We headed to Riis Beach in The Rockaways.  It was a gorgeous day - one of those where I would rather be nowhere else than right here in NYC.

As for Kim... I adore this girl.  I'm so glad we're friends, and I can't wait to hang out with her again.  She's a great listener, and hilarious to boot!  I mean, how cute is she?!

Sunday night I came back to Queens and scored a last-minute, unexpected date with a pretty cool (and super cute) guy I've seen a few times.  A laugh-filled, relaxing end to a perfect weekend.... complete with a business plan and a name for the drag queen inspired by me.... don't ask.

2 comments:

  1. awwww...you are awesome. i can't wait for our next girl date! :) we have to get tix to that show! somehow we will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fabulous! I so wish I could get to NYC to see the McQueen show -- sounds amazing!

    Sal x

    http://danielandi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete