Then I went back over my calendar when putting the birthdays and anniversaries onto the new 2012 one (which btdubs is an Arkansas calendar from the fabulous Roberta Sims showing a different glorious Arkansonian scene each month... yes, I just made that word up). After that, I scanned this blog and other writings done in 2011. And I realized that I learned more in 2011 than a lot of my other years combined. So here's my list:
1. Work is what you make it. When I have a bad attitude, or more importantly when I let others' bad attitudes around me set in, of course work days are longer and less productive. Work is also just that - a job. My career could change with the next flick of my pen or stroke on my MacBook. I found this quote on a blog I try to read somewhat regularly.
Don’t lament so much about how your career is going to turn out. You don’t have a career. You have a life. Do the work. Keep the faith. Be true blue. You are a writer because you write. Keep writing and quit your bitching. Your book has a birthday. You don’t know what it is yet.Until then I need to just go with it and realize that without this current job, pics and memories like these and so many more would not have happened...
And even this one. At least I make myself laugh, right? (Look how ANGRY she is!)
2. Dumb dating gets you to a point that you look for good dating. It makes you reevaluate what you want, what you don't want, and the level of vulnerability required. Lord knows I don't have this one figured out, but I can't say the experiences in 2011 didn't help in my journey. Because they did. The year I spent not completely sitting back, but not completely hunting actually did me a world of good. Remember THIS, gentle readers? Yeah. Still true. And remember THIS, Mr. Right? Yep. Pretty much the same. Although I would add that bringing small gifts to dates earns you major points. Just sayin'...
The same blog from above provided this thought-provoking piece of advice:
When you meet a man in the doorway of a Mexican restaurant who later kisses you while explaining that this kiss doesn’t “mean anything” because, much as he likes you, he is not interested in having a relationship with you or anyone right now, just laugh and kiss him back. Your daughter will have his sense of humor. Your son will have his eyes.
Insightful, Sugar. Very insightful.
3. Hard running leads to things like THIS. The other night I ran half of the half at a great pace for me. I'm less than five weeks out, and I'm terrified. But I'm excited. A year ago I couldn't have done this. And five years ago?? I can't even go there.
*The compromise I made with myself to stop running from important things led to running toward a healthy life.
**And if you run hard enough, a cute guy might treat you to the below for use on your aches... fo sho.
4. Indy was expensive, but seriously... look at her. Even when she's being bad like she is here, she's worth every penny. Her undying love and affection absolutely makes my day nearly every day. Period.
5. Theatre and fashion were just so-so. However, we had these 2 things which kinda blows that theory out of the water...
*"Book of Mormon" is one of the best shows I've ever had the pleasure of paying $155 for. And I'd do it again tomorrow
*Need I go over the glory that was the McQueen Exhibit at The Met??
In search of the coffee table book if anyone is looking to get me a gift :)
2011 showed as most years have that I can't say enough (I'm sure you guys get sick of hearing it but it's my personal blog about my life and adventures so deal) about just how freakin' incredible my friends are. Not generally overly emotional, this is the one area of my life that just brings tears to my eyes at the sheer fortune I've hit with these people. I can't even list them all here, but you know who you are. From helping me with computer problems when I do dumb things, to joining me for random concerts and chain restaurants, to requiring a bulleted list of the highlights of a great date, to drinking Sangria whilst watching trash tv, to insisting I stop yelling for no reason when I get mad at myself for not being Superwoman, I have a stupid awesome group of people surrounding me.
All that to say (and imply) 2011 had some great lessons, some great art, and some great memories. And now 2012... here we go.