Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tony Night 2011 - A Play By Play

As I mentioned in my previous entry I am one unhappy camper.  For the past 10 years I have lovingly enjoyed some Tony night goodness.  Even in sucky years, I was with them.  Sometimes in person.  Sometimes with friends.  Never alone.

Let's pretend I'm wearing this tonight.  In fact, just envision me sitting around the house in it.  Darker hair now of course.  And more toned legs.


And here I sit.  With my swollen tonsils - and you!  So enjoy or ignore.  This one's for me.

Opening
Neil Pats!  I dig that we're singing about Broadway being for straights too!!  I will love Stephen Colbert until the day I die.  Good God, Edie Falco looks fantastic.


Featured Actress in a Play
Whoa.  Ellen Barkin??  I SERIOUSLY thought Edie had this one.  I'm seeing "The Normal Heart" next week.  Anyone wanna go with??  Warning - I may cry.

H2$ Performance
Go Charlie, you insanely cute chorus boy!!  How many CHS alum does this inspire?  (And Sisters too!!)  And look at that gorgeous Ellen Harvey (you shoulda been nommed, girl)!!!  Love her.  Daniel Radcliffe has really worked out his choreo abilities!  I'm loving this... great job getting people to our neck of the woods, guys.


Catch Me If You Can Performance
I know 3 people who like this show.  I am one of them.  Unfortunately this number (and crazy multiple camera angles) did not prove my theory that it's a good show.  Tourists (and straight guys), go see it.  You'll love it.  And now it has a lead actor win too.

Scottsboro Boys Performance
How did I miss this show?  West coast 2012.  I'm there.

Book of Mormon Performance
Oh.  I'm so in.  Somehow touching and irreverent and smart and hilarious and so much more...  I may pay have to pay full price for a house seat.


UPDATE IN ASTORIA 9:15pm:
Writing/Viewing Partner For The Night

Dinner for a champ


NPH vs Wolverine
Two beautiful men singing and dancing.  I do so love Broadway.  It's moments like this that make me proud to be in this business.  For reals.

Spiderman Performance
Really?

Sister Act Performance
Loving that hat, Whoopi.  C'mon Patina.  Sing it, girl.  "Raise Your Voice"!!!  Yay, Ladies!! (Did anyone notice my Indy in this number??)  Go see this for a fun night at the theatre.

Memphis Performance
In tears.  Seeing kids love theatre this much and with such gusto does my heart good.  Maybe I'll go see "Memphis" again just because of this.

Best Play
Am I gonna have to see "War Horse"???  Hmmm... I have trouble believing it's better than "Jerusalem". (Plus the speeches were so odd.)

Anything Goes Performance (this is the party I'm supposed to be at... ugh)
Sutton better dance!!  Dear lord I love me some hoofers... makes me wanna get my taps out!  And let me just say Bill Ryall is one of the best dancers on Broadway making his debut in this show.  He makes those ensemble numbers POP!!!  I'm seeing this'n again too.

Company Performance
Do I really need to say much??  Or shall I just reference this or perhaps this?  Needless to say I loved it. Good job, guys.  Can't wait to see you on the big screen later this week.

In Memoriam
Tyne looks fabulous.  So many greats were lost.  I'm so glad they included Shannon Tavarez.  So beautiful.

Lead Actress in a Play
Yay to Nina Arianda - your day will come, pretty lady.  Frances McDormand, is that a denim jacket?  And did you forget a comb??

Priscilla Queen of the Desert Performance
I really wish I liked this show.  Alas, I did not.  But look at those costumes (so glad Chappel & Gardiner won for that).  And did Neil Pats just tell someone to quit touching him???

Lead Actor in a Play
I seriously don't think loving Mark Rylance more is a possibility.  If you don't see "Jerusalem" and you have the opportunity, you are wrong.  Just plain ole wrong.  GO SEE JERUSALEM, NOW.

Best Musical
I can't believe I haven't seen this yet.  I'm about to be $137 lighter.  And I kinda loved that he gave props to Joseph Smith.

Random Thoughts
  • Viola Davis.  Work.
  • Trey Parker.  You rarely do anything wrong anyway, but I'm diggin' that sparkly shirt.
  • Marianne Elliott.  LOVING that purple dress.  Hmm... It's a 2011 rendition of the picture above.
  • Angela Lansbury.  70 years.  Wow.  Please let me have that kind of legacy... ok, something comparable.
  • Brooke is some cray cray.  I kinda love it though.
  • Patrick Wilson will forever be the love of my life.
  • To quote Larry Kramer, you "are an exceptional people and [your] day will come".  To so many of you, thank you for letting me be such a part of your journeys.
  • From my friend Matt Cavenaugh - "Anthony Weiner, The Musical starring Aaron Lazar".  Possibly never were truer words written.
Great show.  Sorry I'm not at Bowl-Mor with Shawn Baker and the Roundabout peeps.  Congrats on the wins for "Anything Goes" and Sutton as well as the many other nominations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment